Friday, March 15, 2013

an unfamiliar phone number

About 4:00pm today, my phone rings.  It's an unfamiliar phone number, but nonetheless, it has a Virginia area code so I answer it.  It's an unfamiliar voice and he's staggering a little bit as if he is nervous and doesn't know exactly what to say.  He manages to get out, "Is there a KennaDee?  I s..l..o..w..l..y, said, "yes." He replied, "oh ok. She has a friend that wants to talk to her."  As I'm talking on the phone with this boy, KennaDee comes running down the stairs, "mom, who is it? Is it for me? Is it Noor?" Noor is a friend in class that she's become quite good friends with.  She told me a couple days ago that they exchanged phone numbers and they are going to hang out after school one day.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  I assumed I would be the one to call Noor's mom or Noor's mom would be the one to call me.  NOT NOOR HERSELF!
Previously to this phone call, I was deep in thought as I was catching up on some organizing.  After KennaDee took the phone and ran upstairs to her room....I could not get back into my zone.  I kept replaying what just happened in my head.  To some of you readers out there, you may be thinking what's the big idea.  Here it is.

SHE'S ONLY SEVEN YEARS OLD!!!!! I do not remember getting phone calls from friends in second grade.  Does it really happen that soon? My little girl is growing up and I am not ready for it.  The phone calls behind closed doors. My heart was pounding quickly. I debated on running upstairs myself to eavesdrop,  but is that the kind of mother I want to be?  What are they planning? What are they talking about? Sigh.  I had to come write my thoughts out or I would never be able to get back to my organizing.

I guess the positive part of this, is that the boy who was on the phone, was Noor's brother.  At least the phone call was a female friend and not a classmate of the opposite sex.  Right??

Tear.. Tear..

I just keep repeating to myself.... I'll love you forever, I'll love you for always..as long as I'm living, my baby she'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts