In the past, my children have just colored, played with their toys, etc while we watched. However, now that they are getting a little older, it's a littler harder to keep them entertained so... I found some great ideas on pinterest this year that I wanted to try out.
First - I created a bag for each of the 12 apostles and then one for each member of the First Presidency (the Prophet and his 2 counselors). Each bag had a different activity in it. When that person got up to speak, they were able to grab that specific bag and work on that activity until the next speaker. Each speaker addresses up for 10-20 minutes. This worked pretty well. The only thing that didn't work is that they got so excited about getting the next activity that we always missed the first few minutes of the talk because the kids were talking about the activity, explaining to each other how to do it and rustling the bag around. That's okay - always room for improvement. However, while they were doing the activity - it was good. Successful.
Nicholas was so funny with this one. Anytime he saw the kids go for candy, he would jump down, run over, grab the piece of candy, hold it up and grin like he just won something. It was soo cute!!
Next time - - we will find something else besides candy though. :)
Now - - for the FOOD traditions we started. We made Cafe Rio's taco salad for lunch. It was sooo scrumptious! Then for the second session, we were still full from lunch so we had crackers, cheese, meat, strawberries and grapes. The cheese and grapes together? Hmmm...good. Now I understand why people like the wine and cheese tastings. HA! By the time I remembered to take a pic, the kids had gobbled up half the strawberries. That fruit does not last long in our house.
Now - Brian and I wanted to sleep in a bit on Sunday - since we didn't have to get up to go to church, so we sent to kids down to get their own breakfast. KennaDee has done a great job with this before so we trusted her to help the younger ones. Well...when I got up, came downstairs - I found this.
I asked what happened and KennaDee and Jackson, of course, both said, "It was Nico." We hear that statement A LOT. And that's an understatement. Poor Nico - he always gets the blame. However, in the case - I do think it was him. Look how he managed to fill it all the way to the RIM!! Talented kid, I tell ya.
I guess that's what happens when you try and sleep in.
General Conference was amazing as always and we received much guidance, revelation, and inspiration from our Heavenly Father. With the activities we did, the kids are looking forward to the next time. If you didn't get a chance to listen and or watch, you can go to www.lds.org and there is a link there that says, "Watch General Conference Now." Then you can choose to watch it or just listen to it. Soon they will have it so you can read it.
It was a great weekend!
What cute conference traditions. You are such a fun mom.
ReplyDelete