Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thankful

The other day, my two sons and I were running a few errands.  We drove by a homeless woman.  She was standing on the corner of the street, as they often do, holding a sign that said, "homeless, please help." It's hard to know when they are really homeless or are just looking for money.  I guess that part is not ours to judge but to give regardless of what they do with it. Anyway.  We drove passed her and as I continued to watch her, we drove through the light.  I couldn't stop thinking about her so we flipped around and drove down the same street.
I told Jackson to grab one of our "needy" bags.  (For a church activity, we had assembled several homeless goody bags to hand out as we see them in the streets.  They have food, drinks, sanitary items, pamphlets of where to go for help, etc.) We have about 4 of them in our car.  He quickly grabbed one and hopped to the other side of the car so he could hand it to her through the window.  We pulled up to her, rolled the window down, and Jackson said, "excuse me." She turned, took the bag, and replied, "thank you." She then set it down on the ground and continued to walk up and down the street.  As I watched her through my side view mirror and as I watched Jackson watch her, I started to tear up.  I thought of what kind of life she might have and what kind of life I have.  I began to thank my Heavenly Father above for all the blessing and luxuries I enjoy.  My car, my children, my home, my food, my parents, my husband, my husbands job, my membership in the church, my friends that so often help me. The list could go on and on. My bed. The warmth I feel in my home, etc. I'm grateful for ALL the choices I have made in my lifetime to get me where I am today.  I know that every choice we make today will determine our tomorrows.
What made this experience even better was that when Jackson sat back down, he was smiling.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of making "needy" bags. What a great way to help out without just handing over money. I'll have to work on something like this...

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts