Friday, January 9, 2015

She's only 9. But it's time.

So I picked up the kids from school today and our conversation started out the same as it always does, "how was school today?" "Good," said simultaneously by both kids. Then the conversation between my oldest and I suddenly took an unexpected turn. 
Somehow KennaDee got on the topic of games she had seen on the iPad and this is how it went:
KennaDee: I saw this comment on the iPad that said a 15 year old girl wanted to have a baby. That is NOT going to be my life. I will not choose to have a baby at 15. No way. I'm gonna wait to have a baby until 2 years after I'm married. Wait- when did you have me mom?
Me: you were born 9 months after we were married. 
KennaDee: oh. I'm gonna wait 9 months after I'm married to have a baby. But... You don't really get a choice do you? The baby just comes? Or can you choose? 
Me: well, yes. You can decide when and if you want to have a baby. 
KennaDee: what? You can? How do you choose? Do you just go get a shot? 
Me: no. You don't get a shot. Well I guess in some cases you don't choose to get pregnant but it happens as a surprise but for the most part you choose. (As I'm not thinking this through, I realize I've just confused her even more.  YAY! Mom of the year award already won this year!) I finally say, as I have 3 other kids in the back seat, this really isn't something we can talk about right now but when it's just you and me I can explain it to you. 
KennaDee: you can't tell me in front of the boys? (She got a sheepish grin as if she gets in on a little secret. and is excited to find out. Haha!! Wonder if she'll be as excited after she finds out how it happens!)

She's only 9. But it's time. To have the talk. The talk about how a girl becomes a young woman. And the talk about the birds and the bees. 
I always thought the second coming would happen before I had to face this. Sigh. 

1 comment:

  1. Wait! What did you say?????? I know this day is closing in on me too.

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts